Social Media Associate
In the past 100 years, we have gone from the Model T to the Tesla, from the switchboard to the smartphone, yet the very institution charged with preparing America’s students for success has remained virtually unchanged. Our students deserve better. It’s from that conviction – and commitment – that the XQ Institute was born.
In 2016, the XQ Institute launched XQ: The Super School Project engaging America in answering the question: What would high school look like if all students graduated prepared to succeed in college, career, and life? We issued the largest open call to rethink American public high school in our country’s history. Nearly 10,000 people from communities across the US responded and became school designers and schooolbuilders devoted to questioning the status quo and imagining the possibilities. In September 2016, we announced a cohort of 10 Super Schools who will be supported by XQ to bring their ideas to life, many opening in Fall 2017. XQ isn’t just about ideas, it’s about enduring impact; about inspiring and amplifying meaningful, measurable solutions, and real results, in high schools from Connecticut to California, and every state in-between.
To meet the ambitious goals of the Super School Project, XQ is looking for a Social Media Associate.
Working with the Communications team, the Social Media Associate is responsible for XQ’s online voice and presence: writing, curating and continuously improving the quality of brand-relevant content across our digital and social media channels. This role requires collaborating across external and internal teams to enhance the quality of our digital presence, monitoring engagement and synthesizing complex information for mass audiences.
As the ideal candidate, you’ll be grounded in best practices of journalism and storytelling and have a few years of social media or community management experience already under your belt, preferably in the world of education or social impact. You’ll complement those skills with a deep curiosity and commitment to deliver editorial excellence, while remaining highly organized in the midst of multiple projects and priorities. As a Social Media Associate, you will have a unique opportunity to shape and creatively bring incredible XQ stories to life in the digital world.
- Develop, write and edit social media copy across all digital channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, website and more)
- Speaking with XQ community, interviewing them to ultimately shape engaging and compelling stories and content
- Execute on collecting, curating and writing content on the fly and in “real time”
- Schedule and plan detailed social media campaigns tied to measurable results
- Consistently monitor, respond and listen to social media conversation on a daily basis and report results to wider team and clients
- Respond to data and insights to constantly evolve and improve content and creative development
- Use social media publishing, tracking, monitoring, and listening tools for effectiveness
- Run paid advertising and promotion campaigns (especially Facebook and Twitter) with a digital strategist
- Identify storytelling opportunities to grow and engage audiences across digital platforms
- Contribute ideas to creative development and content strategy
- Support Communications team in organizing and appropriately tagging all digital content
- Attend XQ events and meetings
- Extensive travel involved
Key Skills of the Ideal Candidate
- Copywriting skills: You need to be exceptional in spelling, grammar and proofreading, as well as have a creative flair for producing engaging content. This includes an ability to translate succinct insights from our work into accessible “on-brand” copy
- Inquisitive Mindset: You’re intensely curious, comfortable approaching people for interviews in-person or on the phone and good at relating to all kinds of people
- Community management: You’ll have a knack for building connections and consistently growing community across multiple social channels and among diverse audiences; a passion for social media and good judgment about what captures people’s attention and gets people talking
- Data-Driven: You take a data-driven approach and optimize social media content based on trends, coupled with a strong familiarity in analyzing social media analytics to improve social engagement
- Digital native: You live, breathe and think digitally, with a strong knowledge of social media trends/best practices and a proven track record of developing and executing a variety of content across multiple channels
- Detail-oriented: You know that what happens on social media is forever, so you’ll have a laser sharp eye for editing and can live tweet events without typos
- Time management: Even with multiple tabs and platforms open, you’ll be adept at juggling many projects at once and work creatively under short deadlines
- Creative: In order to keep followers engaged and to be an effective social media associate, you’ll consistently come up with new initiatives and campaigns. Whether it’s an Instagram takeover, cross marketing opportunity or Snapchat filter, you’ll need to think of new ideas that stand out and build, grow engagement
- Resilience: You have the ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve.
- 3+ years of experience in social media and/or community management.
- A relevant undergraduate degree such as communications, marketing or journalism is normally expected but not essential.
- Skilled with Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Sprout Social, NationBuilder or social media and other marketing platform; basic HTML and video editing experience a plus.
- Prior experience managing social media handles for a non-profit or social impact organization is a must.
- Knowledge of the education space, education policy and/or experience working in education is required.
- The ideal candidate must have a strong passion for educational equity and enthusiasm for our organization’s mission to rethinking high school.
- Please provide links to social media accounts or blogs you’ve managed.
- XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ promoting, celebrating, and supporting diversity is a core value. Individuals are considered without regards to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry.