At XQ, our mission is to fuel America’s collective creativity to transform our public high schools, so every student succeeds. To accomplish that, we share engaging and informative stories of high school innovation; develop free, open-source tools and resources that help educators, students, families, and other concerned people reimagine high schools in their communities; produce cultural events that inspire people to become part of the change; and cultivate new data, information, and knowledge about high school education.To help us meet our ambitious goals, XQ is seeking a Digital Copywriter (“Copywriter”) to help shape our online brand voice to engage with a mass consumer audience.
One of our biggest creative challenges is to simplify our work to make it clear, concise, and conversational to a large general audience. We seek a Copywriter who has a strong understanding of how people consume content online and experience in writing across multiple digital platforms, including social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), newsletters, SMS, and websites.
The Copywriter is a consummate team player who solves problems creatively and has a passion for digital storytelling on every platform. The right person will have the capacity to drive content development in every phase, including concepting, copywriting, and proofing, and will work cohesively with the marketing, content, and creative teams.
- Write clear, concise, and conversational copy for social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn) and digital channels (newsletter, website, SMS)
- Plan and manage all daily digital copy to increase engagement on social and digital channels.
- Work closely with the digital team on the content calendar across channels identifying seasonal themes and other opportunities to be culturally relevant
- Collaborate closely with the creative and content teams to come up with ideas, including concepts for social videos and script development
- Use quantitative and qualitative insights to optimize our copy and inform our channels.
- Use SEO principles to maximize the copy’s reach
- Work with stakeholders and reviewers to keep the brand voice consistent and make sure it connects with a mass audience
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends, best practices, and emerging technologies
- 5+ years of experience copywriting, developing, and creating for digital/social.
- A passion for storytelling, a mastery of grammar, and the ability to tailor your writing to tell stories on a variety of platforms.
- A basic understanding of UI/UX and an interest in social media platforms and their abilities and limitations.
- Experience working with designers, content developers, and teams focused on the creative process.
- Ability to write at all levels (headlines, body copy, scripts) in a way that connects emotionally.
- Experience with A/B testing copy to drive optimal copy and engagement.
- A self-starter with an aptitude for time management, organization, and communication.
- The desire to work in a lively, rapidly changing environment with a diverse team that often collaborates fluidly across projects.
- Understanding and commitment to social equity a plus.
- Ability to work full-time in our Oakland office.
Skills and Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate loves to write and has both an eye for simplicity and an ear for the distinctive turn of phrase. The job requires a keen understanding of the nuances of content marketing, consumer-centric copywriting, branding, user experience, and tone. We are looking for someone who can think critically and strategically about creative projects and contribute productively to the work of a fast-moving team. If you are an exceptional, prolific writer with experience in digital media and a desire to connect our brand with a large audience and catalyze a movement to transform public high schools, we would love to hear from you.
- XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
- Please apply online and provide a link to your portfolio of work. In your cover letter, please address why your skills, interests, and experience align with the requirements for this role. Candidates whose cover letters do not address these points will not be considered.
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ, promoting, celebrating, and supporting diversity is a core value. Individuals are considered without regard to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry.